David Sosnowski – Director of Recreation of Community Services
The Department of Recreation and Community Services is responsible for coordinates special events in the Montebello community, festivities that display Montebello’s unique heritage and diverse cultures. The current events are the Veteran's Day Program, Memorial Day Program, Red Ribbon Week, Halloween Fright Night, Winter Wonderland, Summer Youth Employment Golf Tournament, Battle of the Bands, and the very successful Summer Concerts in the Park Series!
Behind the scenes of the Department, the Park Maintenance Division tends to the parks and City facilities used by our residents. The number of park users has increased dramatically over the last several years and the need to upgrade, repair and enhance our outdoor recreational sites is an ongoing operation. Facility rentals are available for designated Department facilities for a fee.
The Department is dedicated to providing an extended variety of community and recreational services, leisure time activities and healthy programs residents of Montebello and many neighboring communities. The Department encourages individuals to discover the recreational opportunities currently offered.
Department of Recreation and Community Services is Creating Community through People, Parks and Programs by highlighting the City’s commitment to provide the community far and wide with innovative social, cultural, recreational and educational activities to promote and enhance the quality of life in Montebello.
The Department Recreation and Community Services is located at Henry Acuna Park - 1700 West Victoria Ave.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
(323) 887-1200 x540
|Service||Must be In Person||Over the Phone Service||Online Service||Typical Service Time|
|Reservation & Program Refunds||No||(323) 887-4540||n/a||5 minutes|
|Facility Reservation Changes||No||(323) 887-4540||n/a||5 minutes|
|Senior Food Distribution||No||(323) 887-4575||n/a||10 minutes|
|General Iquiries||No||(323) 887-4540||n/a||Varies|
- We are currently allowing people to request refunds, receive a line of credit to use in the future or change dates for any facility reservations.
- We are not accepting any new reservations at this time.
RECREATION & COMMUNITY SERVICES REOPENING
Based on the City's Reopening Plan, the Recreation and Community Services Division will implement the following timeline:
May 17, 2021
- Park amenities and playgrounds reopen.
- Restrooms, playgrounds, the skate park, tennis/pickleball courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, handball courts, BBQ pits, picnic shelters are open to the public with hourly restrictions, limitations, & safety protocols in place.
- Youth sport permits may resume.
- Outdoor practice, training, & fitness allowed with safety protocols in place. Los Angeles County Department of Public Health requires an online form for proposed events or competitions between more than two teams or multiple individual competitors.
June 21, 2021
- Outdoor activities & classes resume.
- Organized recreational activities and classes that can be conducted outdoors, with 6 feet of physical distancing and within stable cohorts, are permitted. Picnic shelters available to rent.
August 2, 2021
- Indoor park facility permits resume.
- Facilities and meeting spaces available for rent with physical distancing and occupancy limitations - 25% occupancy as of 4/15/21.
PARK AMENITY SCHEDULES
Playgrounds | 8am - 9pm
Restrooms | 7am - 9pm
Skate Park | 8am - 7pm
Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, & Handball Courts | 8am - 9pm
Outdoor Sport Permits | Monday-Friday, 5pm-8:30pm & Saturday-Sunday, 9am-8:30pm
Contact the Community Hotline for more information at (323) 887-4540.